When to Refer

If you observe and/or are made aware of student behavior that appears to be unusual in nature, leaves you feeling concerned, worried, or troubled, TRUST YOUR INSTINCT and ask for support. Even if you are not sure if the behavior or interaction warrants a response from the ACT, go ahead and fill out the report and go through a consultation call.

The following are several examples of when it may be appropriate to refer a student*:

  • Unusual or erratic behavior in class, in the residence halls, during advising sessions;
  • Behavior that is threatening in nature including words, actions, or movements that reflect a serious intention to cause physical or mental harm to oneself or another person at any location within the campus community (i.e. In class, residence communities, or administrative buildings);
  • Written work or creative expression with troubling/alarming themes or references
  • Verbal or written threats made by a student toward another student, faculty, or staff;
  • Written or verbal expressions of suicidal ideation plan, or intent;
  • Other actions, which cause an alarm or call into, question the safety of the student or their peers.
  • Marked changes in academic performance, a noticeable decline in personal appearance and/or a student repeatedly engaging in disruptive behaviors in class can all be signs of a student in crisis;
  • If efforts to manage a significant classroom behavioral issue have not resolved the problem. If you are concerned about the welfare of a student, yourself and other students;
  • If a student asks for help in dealing with personal issues that are out of your role as a faculty or staff member
  • If a student makes threatening gestures in writing, verbally, or passive threatening actions.

If there is an overt threatening action or presence of a weapon, please call UPD immediately at (415) 338-2222.

It is important to note that some behavioral warning signs carry more weight than others and multiple indicators increase the risk of potential harm to self and/ or others. In such instances, you are encouraged to seek consultation with Counseling & Psychological Services at (415) 338-2208.


*The list is not exhaustive but rather an example of recent situations referred to ACT